Monday, October 12, 2009

Finally, Barbecue Garden Night

I pass Barbecue Garden every night on my way home from work and have wondered about it for weeks. Turns out that this is the barbecue place T and T have been wanting to take us to since the beginning of the year, and we finally made it happen tonight.

It's not as authentic as the place we went last time - remember the weasel grilling outside? - but it was so delicious that it is going on the list of places I will take my family in December. Plus the garden is so beautiful - you sit outside with strings of white lights all around you while you grill your own food in the middle of the table.

The platter of prawns were placed in front of Katherine and the look on her face told me they were still alive before I looked down. They were squirming, and K's look was one of mortification.


"What's wrong?" I asked her.

"They're still alive"

"But we have ripped the heads off of these guys before..."

"I know," she said, "but it's different to cook them alive over a fire." I guess she is right. To be marinated in spices and then cooked to a slow death... it isn't as humane as getting your head ripped off quickly, is it? But K got over it and we agreed that this method produced the most tasty and tender prawns ever.

The winner of the night for me were these beef skewers...I haven't had such tender, delicious meat like this forever. They were marinated to perfection and the peppers, onions and tomatoes were squishy and nice.


Second runner-up, believe it or not, was the grilled squid. It was perfect, too, but not quite as perfect as the beef. Yum.
And this banana chocolate crepe for dessert wasn't bad, either.
All four of us ate until we were full: skewers of squid, fish, beef and prawns, plus beer, dessert and tea - came to less than $10 a piece.

9 comments:

Tubagoa said...

Not only were they alive, they were alive ON A STICK. Just where did they have that thing shoved? Ouch.

Unknown said...

My mouth is positively drooling. I think I'll stick with the beef -- not sure I could grill a live prawn; however, I did help put a live lobster in a pot while vacationing on Cape Cod, so maybe.......

Brian Bowker said...

"...it is going on the list of places I will take my family in December."

There will be no need to make me feel bad about not being able to go when December comes around; I feel bad enough about it already. In fact, just look:

:(

Marjie said...

Good point, Mungo (sticking with Mungo) - I meant to mention that they were marinated in spicy sauce, skewered ALIVE and then grilled over a fire.

Mom, you have chopped a chicken's head off.

Brian, change your Christmas plans. Just look at those beef skewers again...

Amy T. said...

Brian, I'm about to pass the virtual hat (e-hat?) for you to join your family in HCMC. I'll feel the loss, the absence. Marjie's family-minus-Brian having rice cakes. Marjie's family-minus-Brian in the twinkle of Christmas lights. Marjie's family-minus-Brian on the back of Nam’s bike.

And it’s always nice to see skewer as a verb again.

Pam Perry said...

My favorite photo is Katherine's face...a bit unsettled. Perhaps a post-prawn photo would've captured the Barbeque Garden joy.

Cecilie said...

Banana chocolate crepe? BANANA CHOCOLATE CREPE?? mmmmmmmmm!!!!!

PS! Note that I have NOT changed my name :0)

Angie said...

I'm with Amy T. Pass the hat! We want Brian and Kristi and Ava with us! But, if it just won't work, I'll even (maybe) grill a live, skewered, spicy prawn for you, Brian.

Brian Bowker said...

I feel better knowing that some prawn somewhere is going to die...