Saturday, November 15, 2008

Scenes from My Morning Market


Finally, I get the courage to take some pictures in my market. Here are Thuy and Tan at their fabric stand; she has just made my my Sunday shopping list.
We are making sour fish soup at 3:00, so my next stop is the orange woman who has been negotiating the items on my list for me. Her daughter, Cang, is with her today and she speaks good English. "My mother told me about you. She likes to help you," she tells me. "Come to us any time." I tell her that Thuy cooks with us and this news spreads. Oh! Everyone knows Thuy and Tan. Cang and her mother's orange stand sits right next to this fish woman who kills my fish, beheads it and bags my shrimp. Everything is dead this time.
Right behind her sits my vegetable woman. The soup contains bean sprouts, pineapple, basil and okra. My negotiator bags it
all up for me and tells me the cost. Fish and vegetables to feed four: about $1.80. Then I go to my new favorite turmeric rice cake lady for breakfast. Her stand is right
next to this Aids sign, which I love:



Keep in mind that all of this will disappear at 11:00 am. The market opens at 5:00 am, and many of these vendors have been up since 2 am, traveling to and from the source of their goods.

I feel more in love with this market and its people every single day. I wish I could take you all on a tour; I want you all to taste, see and smell everything, and I want you to feel the warmth of the people in my neighborhood.
I can't wait for cooking with Thuy at 3!

3 comments:

kumma said...

Everytime you write, you take us on a tour...

Anonymous said...

I loved seeing the pictures of your market. Now I can see what you mean about Thuy sitting among her fabrics, and know who the wonderful people are who take such good care of you. My co-workers think your pictures are amazing!However, even though I would absolutley LOVE to come have a tour of your market, (and I hope I get to!) there is no way EVER I will eat a snail!

Marjie said...

Angie, that is EXACTLY what I said!