Thursday, November 06, 2008

"Osama!"

Usually I just wave to Thuy and Tan down their alley in the mornings, but today I want to talk to them. Thuy has a newspaper ready and is pointing to an article about Obama. She says, "He is a president for the world. He gives us hope." That's why I wanted to talk to them. They are the best.

When I get out to the street, Nam gives me another thumbs up. "Osama!" he says, and I just can't let it go. "Obama" I say. He realizes his mistake and laughs. "Obama!" he says, with another thumbs up. Kids are excited about it all day, writing "President Obama" on my board. The world is taking notice~

Sometimes you can only stream videos early in the morning, so this morning at 3 am I check out a bunch of YouTube speeches, etc., since the pub was so loud last night. One video I find is of a spontaneous crowd on Broadway in Seattle...thousands of people are singing "Don't Stop Believin'." Not that I would have been in that crowd or anything, but I felt nostalgic for the first time since being here, wanting to be a part of the celebration at home, too. I'm lucky I can get so close to it, being so far away.

Anyway, what a week. Our grades are due tomorrow and with that and the election and a million other things, I am exhausted. Four of us are getting on a night bus to Dalat tomorrow to do some canyon repelling. Doesn't that sound like a relaxing thing to do, tired as I am? I'm sure it will be another great adventure, but for now, I am going to sleep like a baby.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Marj, save that newspaper. What a great artifact of your dual life.

kumma said...

It's truly an amazing time...