Monday, April 27, 2009

Warring City States and Sixth Graders in Love

We are studying Ancient Greece right now, and not only is each student a god, goddess or hero (6E will tell you who they are in the first two videos), but each table is a city-state: either Sparta, Athens, Olympia or Corinth. Each city-state had to create a poster advertising all of their major points of interest, as well as to present either a play about a myth from their city-state, a rap, or some kind of dance/song (these are my dancing classes) to promote themselves.

Unfortunately, my classroom is too small for much activity, so we had to use the weight room.
These videos arent' the greatest quality, but they are cute. The Spartans could put on a halftime show at a football game.

In English, we just watched Whale Rider to go along with a mythology unit (a near perfect movie, in my opinion). I just finished grading their character analysis paragraphs and honestly, I could put some of their writing up against a high schooler's (when the grammar is corrected) and you would not be able to tell the difference. Our discussions were so deep (their observations: "the whales are dying because the Maori culture is dying"..."the grandpa is stuck and he's mean to Pai, but he's still a good person" and "should we write this in present tense or past tense?"- which then led to a discussion about literature being a living thing.) They are bright and lovely kids. Still.

On a non-education note: it's spring and the fact that we are studying Greek mythology with all of its love scandals has fueled the fire for what was already beginning to blossom in the sixth grade...love. About five girls in 6E are "with" five boys from 6A. Very unlikely couples, too. But seeing this occur is such a phenomenon. The interest level between the sexes has been slight, if any, up until exactly three weeks ago. But now...whoa...these kids are very similar to kids from the rest of the planet, I think.

Mom, this post is for you. I know how you love my sixth graders, and how I don't talk about them enough. They are still making me happy every day. Hope you are entertained by 6E's videos.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Honestly, I think this blog could be titled, "How to teach so that kids love school and learning." I loved it!

Mungo said...

Say what, say what?

I WANNA BE IN YOUR CLASS! I swear, if you had been my teacher, I might have actually learned something in school...

Mungo said...

Oh, and sixth grade love for me was all about Romi Kramer...

Michelle said...

I don't know who is the luckiest . . . your students for having you as their teacher or you for having such engaged and creative students! That was a lot of fun to watch.

Brian Bowker said...

Don't rename the blog, just write a book called, "How to teach so that kids love school and learning." Then when you open it there are only three words:

Hire Marjie Bowker.

Also, is "Sparta" available for hire as entertainment during our baby dedication in July?

Marjie said...

My family and friends definitely see me through rose-colored glasses, I think...

I will ask Sparta about their booking schedule, Brian.