Sunday, December 30, 2012

Remedies

When you have a headache, stomach ache, or an injury caused from a Saigon Cowboy while living in Nguyen Canh Chan, before heading to the local drugstore it is advisable to visit the fabric stand first. You will get a diagnosis and a remedy - possibly tea with ginger for your stomach or tamarind root for your motorbike burn.

This morning I arrive to the stand with a headache and am told to:

1) Eat my favorite pho ga (chicken) of the gods, right around the corner from the castle, pictured here:
2) Come back and drink a vial of calcium (out of a straw) and take a pill
3) Drink hot water
4) Eat Mangosteens (they are in season, lucky me...my favorite fruit ever, gummy bears in fruit form)


And here is the view from my headache station this morning (I am told to stay put for a while, so will take this time to post a bunch of pictures - you can see from this perspective that the stand is right outside the house):


3 comments:

Amy T. said...

Headache? Enjoy your favorite food, drink water and eat fruit... all that makes sense. The calcium through a straw gets me.
Let me ponder that one...

Brian Bowker said...

This all seems wonderfully legit to me! I'm wondering if I can get my doctor would write me a prescription to travel to HCMC next time I have a headache...

Mungo said...

Both of my daughters are all about the Pho now... of course, I'm sure it doesn't come close to comparing to the real thing...